- 1 pound thick cut bacon
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 small sweet onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
How to Bake
- In a large nonstick skillet or cast iron pan, cook bacon until crisp and fat is rendered.
- Remove the bacon and most of the fat (leave about 3 tablespoons of bacon fat in your pan). Add the pepper flakes, onion and garlic to the pan and sauté over medium low heat until caramelized, about 15-20 minutes.
- Roughly chop your cooled bacon. Once your onions are fully caramelized add in the bacon and the rest of your ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes, allow to cool then top on your Mason Dixie Breakfast Sandwich and enjoy!