- 4 cups heavy cream (1 quart)
How to Bake
- In a double boiler over medium heat bring the cream to 175 degrees. If you don’t have a double boiler, place a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of water.
- Stir a little so that the cream heats evenly.
- Once you reach 175, bring up the temperature—180 to 200 degrees.
- Keep that temperature for about 45 minutes to an hour. At this point, the cream will take on a cracked, yellow skin.
- Next, remove the bowl or top of your double boiler and settle in a pan of ice water to cool quickly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and stow in the fridge overnight.
- Then carefully skim the clotted cream off the top with a shallow spoon and layer it into a bowl.
- It will keep for about a week in your fridge. Serve on top your favorite Mason Dixie Biscuits!