- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk, or more, as needed
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
How to Make
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly until slightly thickened about 1-2 minutes. Stir in potatoes and green onions.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender about 15-20 minutes. Stir in cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper, to taste. If the soup is too thick, add more milk as needed until the desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with green onion, cheese, and bacon, if desired.
- Dip your favorite Mason Dixie Biscuit in and enjoy!