- 2 15-ounce cans pumpkin puree
(not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar or muscovado sugar
(or sub organic brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (Grade A is best)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
How to Make
- Add all ingredients to a large saucepan or pot over medium-high heat and stir to combine.
- Once it begins bubbling, reduce heat to low and simmer. You’re looking for a frequent bubble, so if there isn’t much going on at the surface, increase heat to medium-low heat. If bubbling too vigorously, reduce heat to low.
- Cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. This is 20-minute pumpkin butter, but if you have more time, leaving it on the stove for another 5-10 minutes will only deepen the flavors and thicken the texture.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more coconut sugar or maple syrup for sweetness, lemon juice for acidity, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice for warmth, or salt to balance the flavors.
- Once cooled completely, transfer to a large glass container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, sometimes more (depending on the freshness of your ingredients). Freeze for up to 1 month.
- Enjoy on your favorite Mason Dixie Biscuit!